Earlier in the week my iPhone had to be sent away for repair. It is back now, but it was a pain that I could not access work VPN as it sent a verification code by SMS.
Today set up my Twilio account to forward received SMS messages sent to my Twilio phone number to my e-mail account.
I tested it just now:
“Hey Siri, SMS my Twilio Account”.
> OK what would you like to say?
“Hi there Twilio”
> Your message is “Hi there Twilio, would you like to send it?
> OK, it’s sent.
- Siri used my iPhone to send an SMS to my Twilio number.
- Twilio received the SMS and sent the details in a web request to my website on Amazon.
- My web server used PHP to talk to my WordPress instance and send an e-mail to my Google account.
- My Google account received the e-mail and pushed a notification to all my connected devices.
- The text the SMS was now available on all my devices.
Now if I lose my iPhone I can get work to change my VPN verification number to my Twilio number. When VPN sends a verification code it appears in my e-mail. Or I could just use Twilio instead of my own iPhone number and use VPN from anywhere even if I don’t have my iPhone with me.